Translate

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Chapter 4 - Baptism in the Holy Spirit

Chapter Four
Baptism in the Holy Spirit
 


BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT


We know the effects of the baptism in the Holy Spirit from the thousands of people who have experienced this spiritual awakening. Each story is unique and individual, but internalized the gifts that come from this experience:  a feeling of the strong power and presence of God, a bountiful increase in peace, love, joy, healing, deliverance and healing.  

 Pope Benedict XVI has encouraged the faithful to rediscover the beauty of being baptized in the Holy Spirit.  He made this invitation on 13 May 2008 from the window of his study before praying the Regina Caeli with thousands of people gathered in St. Peter’s Square.  The Holy Father gave his traditional Sunday greeting shortly after finishing the celebration of Mass for the feast of Pentecost.  The Pontiff first noted that Pentecost was an ancient Hebrew feast that became a Christian feast on account of the Holy Spirit’s descent upon Mary and the disciples in the Upper Room that day, 50 days after the Resurrection.
 
“In effect, Jesus’ whole mission was aimed at giving the Spirit of God to men and baptizing them in the ‘bath’ of regeneration,” the Pope said.  “This was realized through his glorification, that is, through his death and resurrection:  Then the Spirit of God was poured out in a super-abundant way, like a waterfall able to purify every heart, to extinguish the flames of evil and ignite the fires of divine love in the world.”
 
The Pope went on to state that “the Acts of the Apostles present Pentecost as a fulfillment of such a promise and therefore as the crowning moment in Jesus’ whole mission.  After his resurrection, he himself ordered his disciples to stay in Jerusalem, because, he said,’ In a short time you will be baptized in the Holy Spirit’; and he added: ‘You will have the power of the Holy Spirit, who will descend upon you and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all of Galilee and Samaria unto the ends of the earth.’”

 Benedict XVI said that Pentecost is thus, “in a special way, the baptism of the Church who undertakes her universal mission beginning from the streets of Jerusalem with prodigious preaching in the different languages of humanity.  In this baptism of the Holy Spirit,” the Pope continued, “the personal and communal dimensions – the ‘I’ of the disciple and the ‘we’ of the Church – are inseparable.  The Spirit consecrates the person and at the same time makes him a living member of the mystical body of Christ, participant in the mission to witness to his love.”

 This consecration and insertion into the mystical body of Christ, “is actualized through the sacraments of Christian initiation:  baptism and confirmation,” he said.  “In my message for World Youth Day 2008, I invited young people to rediscover the presence of the Holy Spirit in their lives and, therefore, the importance of these sacraments,” the Holy Father added.

 “Today I would like to extend this invitation to everyone:  Let us rediscover, dear brothers and sisters, the beauty of being baptized in the Holy Spirit; let us be aware again of our baptism and of our confirmation, sources of grace that are always present.  Let us ask the Virgin Mary to obtain a renewed Pentecost for the Church again today, a Pentecost that will spread in everyone the joy of living and witnessing to the Gospel.”


FOUR EFFECTS OF

BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT


First
We Know that Jesus is With Us


First gift is recognized by almost everyone who have received Baptism in the Holy Spirit, is a certainty that Jesus lived, died, rose from the dead, ascended into heaven, and is alive and with us always.  One individual stated that “even though I knew Jesus in faith and in theory before, but after receiving Baptism in the Holy Spirit, I know for sure that Jesus is active in my life.   Jesus is a historical person.  He lived among us on earth two thousand years ago.  He is God. 
 
Saint Paul was filled with the Holy Spirit when Ananias of Damascus laid hands on him, and afterward when he was baptized with water. 
 
 
The Conversion of Saint Paul
Acts of the Apostles 9: 1-19

 

 


1Now Saul, still breathing murderous threats against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest 2and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, that, if he should find any men or women who belonged to the Way,  he might bring them back to Jerusalem in chains.  3On his journey, as he was nearing Damascus, a light from the sky suddenly flashed around him.  4He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?”  5He said, “Who are you, sir?” The reply came, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.  6Now get up and go into the city and you will be told what you must do.”  7The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, for they heard the voice but could see no one.  8Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing;  so they led him by the hand and brought him to Damascus.  9For three days he was unable to see, and he neither ate nor drank.
 
 
10There was a disciple in Damascus named Ananias, and the Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” He answered, “Here I am, Lord.”  11The Lord said to him, “Get up and go to the street called Straight and ask at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus named Saul. He is there praying, 12 [i and n a vision] he has seen a man named Ananias come in and lay [his] hands on him, that he may regain his sight.”  13But Ananias replied, “Lord, I have heard from many sources about this man, what evil things he has done to your holy ones* in Jerusalem.  14And here he has authority from the chief priests to imprison all who call upon your name.”  15But the Lord said to him, “Go, for this man is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before Gentiles, kings, and Israelites, 16and I will show him what he will have to suffer for my name.”  17So Ananias went and entered the house; laying his hands on him, he said, “Saul, my brother, the Lord has sent me, Jesus who appeared to you on the way by which you came, that you may regain your sight and be filled with the holy Spirit.”  18Immediately things like scales fell from his eyes and he regained his sight. He got up and was baptized, 19and when he had eaten, he recovered his strength.

 For each of us too, Baptism in the Holy Spirit will be a uniquely personal and spiritual experience. 
 
 
 
 

Second
We Our Life is Converted

I cannot have Jesus without making spiritual changes in my life.  Jesus inspires me and fills me with the grace to look within myself and discern those qualities that glorify God and those that pull me toward the temptations of the Evil One. For some of us, this represents a change from a life of sin exclusion from God's graces to the good life - good in every respect.  This grace has brought many to a life of fervent, zealous love of God.

From Guilt - To Good

Looking back on our lives we may find an extended period of time during which we have been living in the darkness of sin.  Do not despair!  Baptism in the Holy spirit will bring a moment of conversion when we move from a sinful life to a good life in the loving arms of God.  However, this is not automatic.  We must really want this to happen!  (In the words of a wonderful Cardiologist telling me to quit smoking, "You gotta-wan-ta!).  Making a positive step toward the light of God will require a plan for stepping out of the darkness and confusion in our soul caused by Satan.  For me, this decision and consequent action was accomplished in a split second (I finally got to that spiritual "wan-ta").  And, it was fun.  It allowed me to be a truly care-free person - able to finally find the right answer to the question of life and death posed to me by my Father on my 13th birthday:  "Son, what would you do if you knew for certain that you were to die in one hour?"  My answer at that time of raging hormones and general attitude of a budding teenager was, "Well, Dad, I'd run and find a Priest in order to go to Confession."  Now, after this experience, I would simply say that "I would go on doing whatever I had been doing because I know God is with me and will greet me with love on the other side of the threshold."  This, my friends, is a great feeling of inner peace.  They are wrong, who think that a "conversion experience" is not pleasurable.

Some people think that they have never experienced the love and mercy of God.  They are a slave to the world of immediate gratification, to sin, to Satan.  Their human condition enhances the passions, addictions, and bondage to this life on earth.  This attitude reflects a pampered life of being an easy mark for temptation.  In the long run, it will destroy everything - marriage, career, health.  It is all linked to loneliness and selfishness.  A conversion experience - Baptism in the Holy Spirit - will allow us all to become "all that we can become."  It will liberate us from the shackles of sin, so that we can walk or run on any road that points us to the Kingdom of God.

 
A New World of God

The Holy Spirit will lead us to a better life of inner peace as promised by Jesus.  The Conversion experience leads to a new world of God.  Religious activities and prayer will no longer be a routine.  Rather, they will lead us to a new enthusiasm that arises when we are embraced by God.  This positive feeling will be multiplied many times over.  We will discover new opportunities to cement our relationship with God and serve our fellow man here on earth.  An amazing benefit is an increased awareness of temptations and sinful detours in our road of life.  Accompanying this vision of the wiles of Satan's temptations is a certain knowledge of a protective shield of grace with us always.  As our love of God grows and grows the consequences of violating that love through sin becomes abhorrent.

Baptism in the Holy Spirit leads us to experience the power of God, and this will transform us to become a new creation of God. 

 


 

Third
A Powerful Prayer Life

 
          If we are like most people, our prayer life has been infrequent and filled with distractions. It seems that random - and not so random - thoughts flood our senses the moment we take time to say a prayer. We often say (or think) "with all the things I've got to do, there just isn't time right now to kneel and pray. I've got to work hard to make a living so I can take care of my family, and . . .

            I am reminded of a powerful message taught to me by my then 12-year-0ld daughter. She was enrolled in the sixth grade at a Catholic grade school.  I was a fair-haired young executive heading up quality General Electric Aircraft Engines. One evening my daughter approached me after dinner. "Dad, I have something very important to say and I want to talk with you right now!" I replied that it wasn't a good time because I had to go to a meeting, but that we could sit right down and talk for a few minutes.

            She sat down and said, "Dad, I've been playing basketball at All Saints for over a year now. And you haven't been to a single game! Don't you want to see me play?"

            I gave the standard busy dad reply: "Princess, I really do want to see you play. I am very proud that you are doing so well. But I have to work very hard and travel a great deal around the world to be able to earn what it takes to keep you in this great private school and to be able to pay for your college one day. I just don't have the time to leave work during the day and attend any of your games."

            I will share the exact words of my 12-year-0ld daughter because they were burned into my soul: "Dad, I love you. I know you are busy and don't have the time. But I also know that in the long run we all do what we want to do!"

             Needless to say, all of a sudden I found it possible to carve out whatever time was necessary to attend each and every game from that time forward.

             The same counsel works for finding time for God, our Loving Father. No doubt He would respond similarly to our repeated excuses for not having enough time to spend time with Him. Somehow, it seems pretty shallow to excuse our lack of response to our Father in Heaven because we have to do things in this life that drive a wedge between us and Him. His response will likely be, "Yes, my son, I know you were busy and doing all in your power to be a success in that life on earth, and just didn't have the time to build a spiritual relationship with Me. I also know that in the long run, everyone does what they want to do."

             Baptism in the Holy Spirit will help us to find that time to pray and grow in our Faith in God, our Hope of sharing eternity with God in His eternal kingdom, and our love of God. There will be times when you will be moved to tears when you realize the impact of this relationship that you will be building.

             The gifts of the Holy Spirit are of great value. When we are generous in prayer we will find the grace to become more aware of the power of prayer, the love of God for us, and more appreciative of our ability to receive Jesus Christ - body, blood, soul and divinity - in the Holy Eucharist.

Fourth
Praying in Tongues
 

We will discuss praying in tongues in subsequent lessons.

 


THE  PRACTICAL  BIBLE  LESSON
Baptism in the Holy Spirit





 
Day 1

Matthew 3: 1-12
The Proclamation of John the Baptist
 





1In those days John the Baptist appeared, preaching in the desert of Judea 2[and] saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!” 3It was of him that the prophet Isaiah had spoken when he said:  “A voice of one crying out in the desert, ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.’” 4John wore clothing made of camel’s hair and had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey.  5At that time Jerusalem, all Judea, and the whole region around the Jordan were going out to him 6and were being baptized by him in the Jordan River as they acknowledged their sins.  7When he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?  8Produce good fruit as evidence of your repentance.  9And do not presume to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you, God can raise up children to Abraham from these stones.  10Even now the ax lies at the root of the trees.  Therefore every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.  11I am baptizing you with water, for repentance, but the one who is coming after me is mightier than I.  I am not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.   12His winnowing fan is in his hand. He will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.”

In all four books of the Gospel, John the Baptist prophesied that Christ will come later, with stronger power, because he will baptize with the Holy Spirit.

Mt 3:2We do not require reform or change just because of disciplinary reasons. We need to change to ready for the kingdom of heaven.
Prayer: Father, enlighten my understanding, strengthen my will, purify my heart, and make me holy.


Mt 3:3Who is guiding us like John was guiding those who followed him? Who prepares us for Jesus?
Prayer: Lord Jesus, help me to repent of my past sins and to resist temptation in the future.  Help me rise above my human weaknesses and to grow stronger in my relationship with you.
 

Mt 3:4 John led a very strict and Spartan life. We also need a guide. The sincerity of such a guide is a sign that we need to realize in order to focus on the message.
Prayer: Almighty and loving Father, I adore you and glorify you.  Help me to see myself as I really am:  a pilgrim in this world, a child of yours called to respect and love all whose lives I touch, those in authority over me and those under my authority, my friends and my enemies.


Mt 3:5-6 We will see many others who have also flocked to hear the teaching about the grace of Pentecost and receive the mercy of God.
Prayer: O Holy Spirit, help me conquer anger with gentleness, greed by generosity, apathy by fervor.  Help me forget myself and reach out toward others.

Mt 3:7-8We have to get rid of all elements in our life which are not in accordance with the teaching of the Word of God in the Bible.
Prayer: Jesus, make me prudent in planning, courageous in taking risks.  Make me patient in suffering, and unassuming in prosperity.
 

Mt 3:9-10When we stand in the presence of God we will not be able to rely on family lineage or any other excuses we have more-or-less gotten away with in this life to mitigate our sins, bad habits, and addictions.
Prayer: Keep me, Loving Father, attentive at prayer, temperate in food and drink, diligent in my work, and firm in my good intentions.


Mt 3:11We must put forth much effort to prepare for God’s grace. The Holy Spirit will be given to us from above, and only with the strength of this grace will we be able to conquer the evil one.
Prayer: Jesus, let my conscience be clear, my conduct without fault, my speech blameless, and my life well ordered.

  
Day 2
Matthew 6: 5-15
 Concerning Prayer

Lord, teach us how to pray.
 
5When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.  6But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.  7In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words.   8Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.


9This is how you are to pray:  Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven.  11Give us today our daily bread; 12and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; 13and do not subject us to the final test, but deliver us from the evil one.  14If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions.
 

Be baptized in the Holy Spirit. We will rejoice in the gift of prayer. Jesus will tell us how to best use this gift.


Mt 6:5I should have pure intentions in prayer to God. Please do not glorify me, but glorify God.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, I believe in you: Increase my faith.  I trust in you: strengthen my trust.  I love you: let me love you more and more.  I am sorry for my sins: deepen my sorrow.


Mt 6:6I must find where appropriate, confidential, personal prayer. Please pray we must always lead us to the Father.
Prayer: My Lord Jesus, I worship you as my first beginning.  I long for you as my last end.  I praise you as my constant helper and call on you as my loving protector.


Mt 6:7-8In our prayer, we will talk less and more experience the love of the Father.
Prayer: Loving Father, guide me by your wisdom, correct me with your justice, comfort me with your mercy, protect me with your power.


Mt 6: 9-13Our Father is the perfect prayer, tells us that prayer direction in which we must move forward.
Prayer: I offer you, Father, my thoughts, to be fixed on you; my words, to have you for their theme; my actions, to reflect my love for you; my suffering, to be endured for your greater glory.


 Mt 6: 14-15 Forgiving others is the only way we grow in the grace of prayer.
Prayer: Almighty Father,  have mercy on me and forgive my sins, as I forgive my enemies and all those who do not have my best interests at heart.

 
Day 3
Matthew 11: 25-30
Jesus Thanks His Father

 
 



25At that time Jesus said in reply, “I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike.  26Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.  27All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.
 
28“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.  29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your selves.  30For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

The prayer of Jesus to God the Father has revealed to us. Through the baptism in the Holy Spirit, He gives us His own relationship with the Father. In grace, all is revealed to us.

Mt 11: 25-26Let your prayers be filled with praise to God, the one thing we need to learn from the group in prayer.

Prayer: Father, put me on guard against my human weakness.  Let me cherish your love for me, keep your law, and come at last to salvation and eternal life in your heavenly kingdom.

Mt 11: 27 Through pray, we enter into the experience of Jesus with the Father. Thank you Jesus for us to know the Father.

Prayer: Jesus, teach me to realize that this world is passing, that my true future is the happiness of heaven, that life on earth is short, and the life to come eternal.


Mt 11: 28I have come to Jesus to strengthen. Do not carry the burden of innovation without letting the Holy Spirit within.

Prayer: Almighty God and Loving Father, help me to prepare for death with a proper fear of judgment, but a greater trust in your infinite love and goodness.  Lead me safely through death to the endless joy of heaven.


Mt 11: 29In prayer, we take the yoke of Jesus (it is the duty of life) and with Him.

Prayer: Adorable Jesus, my Savior and Master, model of all perfection, I resolve and will, this day, imitate your example to be, like you, mild, humble, chaste, zealous, charitable and resigned.


Mt 11: 30The gong bear that Jesus placed on us (love and responsibility), quiet and gentle.

Prayer: My sweet Jesus, I thank you for all the benefits which I have received from you this day.  Give me light to see what sins I have committed, and grant me grace to be truly sorry for them.

 
Day 4
Matthew 17: 1-8
The Transfiguration

 

 
 


1After six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves.  2And he was transfigured before them; his face shone like the sun and his clothes became white as light.  3And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, conversing with him.  4Then Peter said to Jesus in reply, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents* here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”  5While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud cast a shadow over them, then from the cloud came a voice that said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.”  6When the disciples heard this, they fell prostrate and were very much afraid.  7But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and do not be afraid.”  8And when the disciples raised their eyes, they saw no one else but Jesus alone.

Go up the mountain with Jesus is the biblical image of the gift of prayer. The distractions of the world need to put aside the great weight and have tried to climb up to the Lord.


Mt 17: 1Jesus invited us to come and pray to Him alone.
Prayer:  I offer you, my loving Father, my whole being, and in particular all my thoughts, words, actions and sufferings of this day.


Mt 17: 2  My reward us to see the revealed nature of God's great miracle Jesus when He gave for us.
Prayer: May your miraculous Transfiguration, Lord Jesus, serve to strengthen my faith and my resolve to love God and my neighbor and be true to your law. 


Mt 17: 3 I also know the holy close of Jesus.
Prayer: Jesus, I consecrate this day to the glory of your name that I may find acceptance in your sight. 
 

Mt 17: 5I will have experience with the Father and His relationship with His Son, Jesus.
Prayer: Loving Father, through the merits of your Son, my Savior, Jesus Christ, may my thoughts and actions this day find acceptance in your sight.  May your divine love animate them, and may they all tend to your greater glory.


Mt 17: 6Sometimes we will be overwhelmed by the experience of prayer, talking to Heaven (Father).
Prayer: Almighty God, I give you thanks from the depth of my heart that you have created me after your own image and likeness, that you have redeemed me by the precious blood of your dear Son, and that you have preserved me and brought me safe to this day.


Mt 17: 7 I will hear Jesus speak and experience the wisdom, His calm.
Prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, I firmly believe that you are present in the Blessed Sacrament as true God and true Man, with your Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity. 
 

Mt 17: 8I always keep my eyes reduced to Jesus, through the prayers of the Bible.


Prayer:  Jesus, my Redeemer and my Judge, I adore your Divine Majesty together with the angels and saints.  I believe, O Lord.  Increase my faith.
  
Day 5
Matthew 21: 12-17
Jesus Cleanses the Temple

 

12Jesus entered the temple area and drove out all those engaged in selling and buying there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves.  13And he said to them, “It is written: ‘My house shall be a house of prayer,’ but you are making it a den of thieves.” 14The blind and the lame approached him in the temple area, and he cured them.  15When the chief priests and the scribes saw the wondrous things* he was doing, and the children crying out in the temple area, “Hosanna to the Son of David,” they were indignant 16and said to him, “Do you hear what they are saying?” Jesus said to them, “Yes; and have you never read the text, ‘Out of the mouths of infants and nurslings you have brought forth praise’?”  17And leaving them, he went out of the city to Bethany, and there he spent the night.
 
 
Church invites us to pray. Sacred buildings that exist for a purpose. The purification of the temple provides basic guidelines on the attitude of prayer. (We need to purify the first place our heart, is the temple of God No dwell)
 

Mt 21: 12 When Jesus comes to us, he will purify us pray.
Prayer: Jesus, in you alone I place all my hope.
 

Mt 21: 13 Please note the definition of the Temple of the Lord: Praying with Father. House or my life, is no longer a haven of sin and selfishness, but to the Temple of God's reign.
Prayer: Jesus, you are my salvation and my strength, the source of all good.  Through your mercy, through your passion and death, I hope to obtain the pardon of my sins, the grace of final perseverance, and a happy eternity.

 
Mt 21: 14 Jesus not only purifies only. He will heal us, when we come to Him.
Prayer: Jesus, my God, I love you with my whole heart and above all things.  Send your healing graces to me to purify me and heal me.
 

Mt 21: 15 No pray, we would like the priest did not understand the inner workings of Jesus.
Prayer: Jesus, Jesus you are the one supreme Good and infinitely perfect being.  You have given your life for me, a poor sinner, and in your mercy you have even offered yourself as food for my soul.
 

Mt 21: 16 So, become like a child in prayer, praise our Father in heaven, very light sauce.
Prayer: Jesus, I love you.  Inflame my heart so that I may love you more.

Mt 21: 17 Jesus will never give up and leave us.  He promised that he would be with us always, even to the end of the age.
Prayer: Jesus, safeguarded by you, may we never swerve from the right road, and surely reach your kingdom where we will be with you for all eternity.
 
Day 6
Matthew 22: 1-14
The Parable of the Wedding Feast


  




1Jesus again in reply spoke to them in parables, saying,  2“The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king who gave a wedding feast* for his son.  3He dispatched his servants to summon the invited guests to the feast, but they refused to come.  4A second time he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those invited: “Behold, I have prepared my banquet, my calves and fattened cattle are killed, and everything is ready; come to the feast.”’  5Some ignored the invitation and went away, one to his farm, another to his business.  6The rest laid hold of his servants, mistreated them, and killed them.  7The king was enraged and sent his troops, destroyed those murderers, and burned their city.  8Then he said to his servants, ‘The feast is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy to come.  9Go out, therefore, into the main roads and invite to the feast whomever you find.’  10The servants went out into the streets and gathered all they found, bad and good alike, and the hall was filled with guests.  11But when the king came in to meet the guests he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment.  12He said to him, ‘My friend, how is it that you came in here without a wedding garment?’ But he was reduced to silence.  13 Then the king said to his attendants, ‘Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’  14Many are invited, but few are chosen.”



 
Wedding is often used in the Bible symbolizes all pray - friendship with God, enjoy the power of God, and the experience of the Kingdom.


Mt 22: 1 Jesus says to us when we pray, it is easy to understand as the parable of him.
Prayer: Holy Spirit of God, take me as your disciple; guide me, illuminate me, sanctify me.

 
Mt 22: 2 Prayer to take us on a joyful experience, friendship with God.Prayer: Holy Spirit of God, bind my hands that they may not do evil.  Cover my eyes that they may see evil no more.
 

Mt 22: 3  Previously, the Father invites us to come to Jesus, to pray. Maybe sometimes I refuse?
Prayer: Holy Spirit of God, sanctify my heart that evil may not dwell within me.

Mt 22: 4 King khongnan the God Undeterred, he continued to call me.
Prayer: Holy Spirit of God, be my guide.  Wherever you lead me, I will go.  Whatever you forbid me, I will renounce.  Whatever you command me, in your strength, I will do.  Lead me, then, unto the fullness of your truth.

Mt 22: 5-6 Please please please be patient, because when we become tired, even angry with the call of God.
Prayer: O Spirit of Wisdom, preside over all my thoughts, words and actions from this hour until the moment of my death.  O Spirit of Understanding, enlighten and teach me.

Mt 22: 9 He will continue to call until we receive them.
Prayer:  Spirit of Counsel, direct my inexperience.  Spirit of Fortitude, strengthen my weakness.  Spirit of Knowledge, instruct my ignorance.  Sprit of Piety, make me fervent in good works.

Mt 22: 10 When received the call of God, we realize that there are many others also gathered by the Lord, to sing praises to love Him.
Prayer: Heavenly Spirit, make me persevere in the service of God, and enable me to act on all occasions with goodness and kindness, charity and joy, with long-suffering, mildness and fidelity.  Let the heavenly virtues of modesty, continence and chastity adorn the temples you have chosen for your abode.  spirit of Holiness, by your all powerful grace, preserve me from the misfortune of sin.

 
 
Day 7
Matthew 25: 1-13
The Parable of the Ten Bridesmaids

 


1“Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.  2Five of them were foolish and five were wise.  3The foolish ones, when taking their lamps, brought no oil with them, 4but the wise brought flasks of oil with their lamps.  5Since the bridegroom was long delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep.  6At midnight, there was a cry, ‘Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’  7Then all those virgins got up and trimmed their lamps.  8The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’  9But the wise ones replied, ‘No, for there may not be enough for us and you. Go instead to the merchants and buy some for yourselves.’  10While they went off to buy it, the bridegroom came and those who were ready went into the wedding feast with him. Then the door was locked.  11Afterwards the other virgins came and said, ‘Lord, Lord, open the door for us!’  12But he said in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, I do not know you.’  13Therefore, stay awake, for you know neither the day nor the hour.



Her parable of the 10 virgins would suggest the need for collaboration and rewards faithful feelings to God, through prayer.


Mt 25: 1
10 her virgin all religious and less interested in waiting for Jesus.
Prayer: Almighty and loving Father, I believe you are present with me.  Although my eyes don’t see you, my faith senses you.  Take any stray thoughts from my mind.  Make me understand the truths which you wish to teach me.  Let me make up my mind to put them into practice.  Loving Father, speak to my soul.

 

Mt 25: 2 I only succeeded waiting Lord Jesus, if we know that He is God and only in God's new success. If not, we are just cute guys.
Prayer: Grant, O Lord, to your Church Militant on earth, assurance of freedom and immunity from harm.  Give peace and order to all nations, and make the earth resound from pole to pole with one cry:  Praise to the Divine Heart that wrought our salvation.  To Him be glory and honor forever.


Mt 25: 3-4 To understand success, we need to use all means necessary to protect our relationship with Jesus. God is all.
Prayer: My Lord Jesus, I have no idea where I am going.  I do not see the road ahead of me.  I cannot know where it will end.  Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.  But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.  And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.  I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.  And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it.


Mt 25: 5 The normal demands of life, such as the need to eat, sleep, does not preclude us ready Lord.
Prayer: My Lord Jesus, I will trust in you always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.  I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
 

Mt 25: 6 invitation to pray and receive the Lord, given to everyone.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, send forth your light and your truth, that they may shine upon the earth; for I am as the earth that is empty and void, until you enlighten me.  Pour forth your grace from above.
 

Mt 25: 7-8  With a heart full search of Jesus, we will not allow anything to prevent or dissipate our vocation.
Prayer: Water my heart, sweet Jesus, with the dew of heaven.  Send down the waters of devotion to wash the face of the earth, to bring forth good and perfect fruit. 


C10 Faithful in prayer leads us to encounter God and in Jesus.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, lift up my mind, oppressed with the load of sins, and raise my whole desire toward heavenly things, that, having tasted the sweetness of the happiness above, I may have no pleasure in thinking of the things of the earth.
 

Mt 25: 13 Get ready to pray always. God invites us to meet God at any time, day or night.
Prayer: My sweet Jesus, draw me away, and deliver me from all unstable comfort of creatures; for no created thing can fully quiet and satisfy my desires.  Join me to yourself by an inseparable bond of love, for you alone can satisfy my heart and soul.  Without you all things are frivolous.

 
 
Saint Michael, the Archangel, defend me in battle.
Be my safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, I humbly pray.
And O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan and all the other evil spirits
who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.  Amen.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment